recipe from Whole Foods
This simple vegetarian chili recipe uses lentils instead of beans. Brown lentils work best as they will hold their shape even when tender after cooking. Serve over brown rice or with whole-grain hearth bread.
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons salt-free chili powder
- 1 (16-ounce) package brown lentils (about 2 1/4 cups lentils)
- 2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. When hot, add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables brown and begin to stick to the bottom of the pot, about 6 minutes. Stir in 3 tablespoons of the broth and continue to cook, stirring, until onion is soft and lightly browned. Stir in garlic and chili powder and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add lentils, tomatoes and remaining broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes or until lentils are almost tender. Uncover and cook 10 minutes longer. Stir in cilantro and serve.
Per Serving: 130 calories (5 from fat), 180mg sodium, 23g carbohydrates, (7 g dietary fiber, 7g sugar), 6g protein.