Kids (and some adults) swoon when you say "we are having breakfast for dinner"! Try these tropical flavored pancakes and really knock their socks off. It's a nice change from your usual plain, blueberry or banana cakes.... Truthfully, these are just as tasty in the morning 🍍
¾ c. all-purpose flour
¾ c. white whole wheat flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
1½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ cup low-fat buttermilk
1 Tablespoon melted coconut oil
1 large egg
1 large egg white
⅓ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
¼ of a fresh pineapple, chopped into small dice
- Combine flours, sugar, and next 3 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Combine buttermilk, oil, egg, and egg white, stirring with a whisk.
- Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Fold in coconut and fresh pineapple.
- Heat a griddle over medium heat. Coat with cooking spray or coconut oil. Spoon about ¼ cup batter per pancake onto griddle. Turn pancakes over when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked.
- Serve warm with warmed syrup.
Adapted from Cooking Light, March 2010.